Palestinian Resistance Groups Preparing for New Large-scale War with Israel Following the Terrorist Attack near Jerusalem
Sigal Bar Zvi, the Deputy Commissioner, said, “I believe we will capture the terror cell.”
A senior officer with Israeli police told reporters that Israeli security forces are searching for an organized terror cell responsible for detonating two “high quality” explosive attacks just after 7:00 a.m. on Wednesday. One person was killed and over 20 wounded in separate explosions at bus stops near Jerusalem entrances.
The head of police operations said, “two high-quality, powerful explosive devices with a high level of damage” were hidden in a bush behind the bus stop.
The first explosion happened just after 7:00 a.m. in Givat Shaul, close to Jerusalem’s main entrance. Then, just after 7:30, there was a second blast at another entrance to Jerusalem at Ramot junction.
Aryeh Schpak, a 16-year-old yeshiva student, was killed, and at least 20 others were injured in the two blasts. According to medical officials, three people were listed in serious-moderate condition, and one other was listed as critical.
Police officials say both remotely detonated devices had been filled with nails to maximize casualties. Because of the nature of the attack, two bombs exploding that were nearly identical within 30 minutes of each other at separate bus stops, police suspect an organized cell was behind the attack instead of just one person.
Sigal Bar Zvi, the Deputy Commissioner, said, “I believe we will capture the terror cell.” She added that while intelligence pointed to planned attacks in general, there were no specific warnings about the attack on Wednesday. Police have since raised their level of alert.
According to Ynet News, an assessment by unnamed defense officials says the terrorists were very familiar with the terrain, and the attack had been planned long in advance. The assessment went on to say the attackers weren’t guided by a handler in a larger terror group but operated individually. While no one immediately claimed responsibility, the Palestinian Islamic Jihad and Hamas have hailed the attacks.
Following the attack, Palestinian Resistance groups in the Gaza Strip declared a “state of alert.” They anticipate an Israeli military attack on the territory.
Under the condition of anonymity, a Hamas fighter told The New Arab that “the joint room of the Palestinian resistance adopted unprecedented security measures” and that it “summoned all the fighters to be ready for an emergency.”
“The resistance is ready to involve in a new large-scale war with Israel,” the fighter continued. He pointed out that group personnel had been placed on alert to respond to any bombardment from Israeli forces.
ThinkCivics+ is a reader-supported publication. To receive new posts and support my work, consider becoming a free or paid subscriber.